Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Yum Yum


I can remember the first time I ever got to feed Logan a bottle. He was so precious and tiny. He was 2 months old before he could take feedings from a bottle because he had to learn how to suck, swallow, and breathe simultaneously. It doesn’t sound very difficult, but for a preemie that weighs a little over 2lbs it’s a huge accomplishment. I look back at how far we’ve come and it amazes me at times. Carter never did learn to feed from a bottle. He got a g-tube in his stomach that we fed him with for his first 2 ½ years. When the boys were 2 we went to an awesome place in Dallas called Our Children’s House at Baylor. It was an inpatient program where the boys would stay in the hospital for 2 months. Lee and I both stayed at the hospital at night, but they made us leave during the day to “train” both boys to eat properly. It was a truly amazing experience that changed our lives forever. Carter did not even know how to drink liquids when we arrived, but 6 months after our stay at Baylor he got his g-tube out and has been eating and drinking ever since. He has a huge appetite and I never thought Carter would love to eat as much as he does. Now he will just about eat anything! It is so amazing to see God’s work! This was one of the major reasons I decided to become a Speech Pathologist.

5 comments:

  1. Toni, I am so glad you are doing this blog. I didn't know a lot about the time when the boys were born. It is fascinating for me now to read about their lives and how God has worked this miracle. I am anxious to follow the progress. I remember that you were in Little Rock, but don't think I ever knew about Dallas...I am in awe of you and the mother you have become!! I can't wait each day to read what you have written....I have to meet these boys when we are next in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just now getting around to reading the blogs I follow. This is so wonderful... I love modern medicine and technology. You guys are amazing parents!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you and your boys Toni! They wouldn't be where they are without you:) I still remember your system of keeping track of bites with the beads:) I think of that anytime we have twins in now! I still have their sweet pictures above my desk and look at it every day! I'm so glad you're becoming a speech pathologist! I know you will be great at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha Carole I don't remember that! You will never know how much I appreciate you! The gift of eating is something most of us take for granted and I love that my boys love to eat now!!!! hugs

    ReplyDelete