Monday, May 2, 2011

Graduation


As I think about my upcoming graduation, I have started to reflect on the reason I decided to return to college. It was a very tuff decision to decide to be away from the boys and go back to school, but since they had to go to school as well - I figured what the heck. I had no clue that I would find another family and wonderful friends at ULM. Also, each class I attend teaches me more about myself and my family life. Not a day goes by that I am not appreciative of my life. Yes, some days are filled with school papers, projects, presentations, and then coming home to my wonderful children. All I can say is God bless the inventor of the dust buster because I can promise I use it at least 5 times a day. I am not sure why I waited so long to own this wonderful invention, but I will never be without it now. I actually consider taking it with me when I go to my moms or in the car, lol. Anyways, so I am graduating and then returning in August to pursue my Master's Degree in Speech-Language Pathology. I did not choose this profession for money or the flexibility of hours, but I want to help other families that face struggles with communication and swallowing as we did. I know all situations will not be exactly like mine, but hopefully being a parent of special needs twins I can offer something to these families that may help them even if facing similar situations. I am scared to work again since it has been 7 years since I worked and will be 9 years once I start working. (that's a long time not to work and have a boss and yes it has been wonderful) I am so grateful to have such a wonderful husband that sacrifices his time with his family to provide for us. I cannot imagine leaving for a month at a time and being in the middle of the ocean with nothing to do or see, but work. He loves us and has always been wonderful at showing us how much. He sent me this email yesterday: " I just wanted to wish u happy Mother's Day. I love u so much and I am lucky to have u as the mother of our kids. They love u to death and if they could talk they would tell u everyday how much they love u. It takes a special mother to go through the day to day struggles u go thru and just take it with a smile (sometimes a bottle of wine.lol). I wish I was half the parent u are. I love you"

This makes me cry every time I read it, how wonderful is he???? I could not have asked for a better man, husband, and father for my kids. One day he can retire and be home with us everyday. I cannot wait! He is sooooo much help when he is home and if I did not have my parents and Bonnie when he is gone I would definitely be in a mental institution. (not kidding) I miss him so much when he is gone and now he stays away for 4 weeks at a time and in Saudi Arabia of all places. I pray every night that the Lord keeps him safe and brings him home to us just as he was when he left. The boys are so much more well behaved when their daddy is home too and I know they miss him just as much as I do!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely cried while reading this and cried some more when I read it again! You are the sweetest person and the best mother! I am so thrilled you started this blog! I just want you to know that I appreciate you so much and I honestly look up to as a role model. Thank you for being who you are... beautiful inside and out, special, amazing, caring, hilarious, and the list goes on and on. And your boys, God do I love your boys! I talk about them all the time to Matt and how I think they are the most precious beings on this earth. I love you, Toni! This blog is an amazing thing for not only us as the readers but for you as well. :) Keep up the great and inspiring words you put here!
    Love, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww Anna Gehl you are too sweet! i just love u! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete